Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Review of THE LIGHT TAMER by Devyn Dawson


Author: Devyn Dawson
Format: E-book
Source: ARC provided by the author for review
Publish Date: April 10th 2012

I hereby award this book 5 wings!

I have been lucky enough to read and review a book of Devyn's before, THE LEGACY OF KILKENNY and when she approached me about reviewing her new book THE LIGHT TAMER, I was quick to agree. I love Devyn's writing and was keen to try something new by her. 
I absolutely love this cover. What with purple being my favourite colour, I was instantly attracted to it. The model is really pretty and I like the whole light and beautiful vibe it has.

I always wonder when writing a review what I can offer that no-one else can. The only answer I can come up with is, my opinion. Why do people read my reviews? I like to think it's because I'm honest and I am passionate about reading. So I try to put some of that passion into a review. 

So, on with my review of THE LIGHT TAMER....

15 year old Jessie Lucente has moved from New York to New Bern, North Carolina. Jessie's parents have split up and her mom has taken her to live with her grandmother, Ms Gayle. The trouble is, New Bern has a population of around 75,000 and 70,000 of those residents are retired. So it's hardly the hip and happening town that Jessie is used to in New York.
She misses her best friend Jersey. She misses her old life. More than that, she misses her dad who went to live in Greece. 
Little does she know that New Bern is set to be more interesting than she gave it credit for. 
Things start looking up the moment she sets eyes on Caleb. He's not the weird, scrawny boy she remembers from summers spent with Ms Gayle. Gone is that image she had of him. replaced by this gorgeous, tanned hunk. 

When Jessie touches Caleb, she feels a shock of electricity. She feels warm and tingly. More so than you feel when you're crushing on a new boy. This is something much more than that. But what...? 

Caleb explains to Jessie that it's because he's a Light Tamer, otherwise known as a SLIder. As is she. Now it's not up to me to explain what a Light Tamer is or what they can do. That's something you need to discover for yourself. 

Caleb introduces Jessie to a friend of his, Amber. She's also a Light Tamer. When you meet Amber, you'll think she comes across as maybe a bit ditzy, a bit weird and a lot sarcastic. But she is actually pretty awesome. Maybe it's because I possess the same personality traits, but I like Amber a lot. Her snarky comments and her sassy attitude had me raising an eyebrow here or there and laughing, okay snorting, out loud. Jessie and Amber get on really well. Better than Caleb could've hoped for. So even though she feels like a third wheel to their relationship sometimes, Amber hangs out with them quite a lot. They are a fun little trio.

It's not until the introduction of Otto that a spanner is thrown in the works. 

Otto is the love interest introduced for Amber. Jessie instantly thinks there's something off about him but can't place her finger on what. I'll leave it to you to find out the ins and outs surrounding Otto. All I will say is, he's not the nicest guy on the block.

I liked this book because it was a fast-paced, laugh a minute kind of book. I managed to read the first third of it in an hour. It's a Paranormal Romance, but it could also be classed as a comedy. I absolutely love Devyn Dawson's sense of humour. There's hardly a chapter or even a page that went by without me laughing to myself about something. 

THE LIGHT TAMER was a little like getting on a roller coaster and hurtling towards gravity at breakneck speed. The end came about all too fast and I just wish I had book 2 readily available so that I could continue on the journey. 

Thank you Devyn for giving me this wonderful book for review. I really am eagerly awaiting the next installment in this trilogy.

If you like the sound of THE LIGHT TAMER, purchase it for yourself, here:


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review - I love me some Gothic Angel! Your page is so pretty, loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :0) I have to say, I am proud of my site. It's coming along everyday. Some wonderful books like The Light Tamer being featured... I love reading and sharing love of a good book! :0)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...